You depend on your heating and cooling system for your comfort throughout the year, especially when the winter breeze starts to blow. It’s just right that you give your furnace some tender love and care. You don’t have to turn it off so it won’t get tired or overheat. You just need to give it a regular maintenance which includes the following routines.
- Change furnace filters regularly. Filter replacement is a necessity in an HVAC system no matter what time of the year it is. Changing air filters will not just ensure clean air inside your home, but it will also lessen the burden of your unit as well. This means that your unit will operate without obstruction which can also lead to its prolonged service years.
- Keep the area clean. There are cases when leaves, twigs and other debris get into your outdoor units. See to it that you regularly monitor and keep clean the surrounding area of your HVAC system. This will help prevent obstructed airflow which is detrimental to the overall performance of the unit.
- Clean air vents. Dust may accumulate in the vents. You can easily remove them with a damp cloth. Most of the time, however, it isn’t dust that’s obstructing the air flow but the furniture placed near the vents. If this is the case in your home, start removing those items and put them at certain distance from the vents. These obstructions can cause your unit to work harder and at longer period of time.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats are great devices to manage the temperature in your home. You can always set the temperature based on your lifestyle habit. Programmable thermostats even give you big savings by learning your routines and automatically adjust the temperature when it sensed that you’re no longer in the house.
- Bleed your valves. Open the valves slightly if you’re using a hot-water radiator then close it again when water starts to appear. This is a good method to prevent the water from freezing in the pipe, creating blocks of ice which are big issues in your HVAC unit.
Take good care of your HVAC units as much as you care about you home. There are easy maintenance tips that you can do to keep your units in tiptop shape all year round. If the situation turns bad, don’t hesitate to call Napps Cooling, heating and Plumbing.