Plumbing has been around for centuries now yet, most of us are still unaware of its basic facts and information. While it is not completely necessary to be well-versed in dealing with plumbing issues, it can be useful to know these plumbing facts.
- The word ‘plumbing’ originally came from “plumbum” which is a Latin word for lead. This is where the atomic symbol for lead (Pb) was adapted from.
- Standardized plumbing began around 3,000 B.C., where the early civilization in Indus River Valley used plumbing pipes to transport water and drain wastes. Take note that the pipes are made of clay or mud.
- As the water travels from the heater to your plumbing fixtures like faucet and bathroom, heat loss may happen in the process. Yet, by insulating your residential pipes, you can cut the amount of heat loss. It can help you save a great amount on energy bills.
- The term ‘bathroom’ has many different names in various places all over the world. Some of the most favorite names include: House of Horror (Egypt), Necessarium (Rome), House of Privy or House of Privacy (England), La Chambre Sent (France) and House of Honor (Israel). Such funny names!
- Is a leaking faucet not a big deal to you? Think again! A dripping faucet can waste over 3,000 gallons of water in a year.
- John Harrington invented the first flushing toilet in 1956. This is why others would call their bathroom as “the John.”
- Did you know what caused King George II of Great Britain to die unpredictably? He died not because of illness but because of falling off the toilet on October 25, 1760. How unfortunate!
- Do you know the most famous plumbers ever existed? They are Mario and Luigi of the video game, Super Mario Brothers!
- Sir William Congreve was a British man who invented the first fire sprinkler system. The pipes were punched along the ceilings, and a regulator was installed outside the building to control the water that runs through the pipes.
- An average person spends three years of his entire life sitting on the toilet. (That sounds gross, but we hope that you brought a good book to read while sitting).
Keep in touch with us for more updated facts, news and information about the HVAC and plumbing business. Napps Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing also offers emergency services for plumbing issues that can’t wait. Call us for all your comfort needs in Longview, TX.